Questioning the place the very best sizzling swimming pools in Iceland are situated? We acquired you coated! On this detailed publish, we’ll share our private favorites and well-liked geothermal swimming pools and baths in Iceland you can add to your itinerary. Many will likely be clear Blue Lagoon options in case you are contemplating one thing offbeat!
We can even share a number of the travel tips that can enable you to to decide on the very best geothermal pool, offer you a packing checklist, and different essential insights. So hold studying!
Finest Scorching Swimming pools in Iceland + Blue Lagoon Options
Disclosure: This publish comprises affiliate hyperlinks. When you click on considered one of them, we might obtain a small fee at no additional value to you.
As one of many world’s most geologically lively nations, it’s no shock that Iceland is residence to a number of the greatest geothermal swimming pools round.
From pure sizzling springs to man-made spas, there’s one thing for everybody to take pleasure in.
What’s a geothermal pool or a sizzling pool?
A geothermal pool is a sizzling spring that has been harnessed to offer pure warmth and sizzling water for individuals.
In Iceland, there are numerous geothermal swimming pools which can be used for each recreation and remedy. The water in these swimming pools is of course excessive in minerals, which may have well being advantages.
Soaking in a sizzling pool might help to alleviate muscle ache, enhance circulation, and enhance the immune system.
There are a variety of public geothermal swimming pools in Iceland which can be open to everybody. These swimming pools present a good way to calm down and benefit from the distinctive panorama of Iceland.
Fast checklist of geothermal swimming pools in Iceland (+ options to Blue Lagoon):
- Blue Lagoon Iceland
- Sky Lagoon
- Secret Lagoon
- Fontana Geothermal Baths
- Myvatn Nature Baths
- Krossneslaug pool
- Husafell Canyon Baths
- Krauma Geothermal Spa
- Drangsnes Scorching Tubs
We can even share a number of the swimming swimming pools in Iceland which can be price testing, as an alternative choice to the favored lagoons.
Plus additionally, you will discover journey tricks to plan your Iceland itinerary round a favourite sizzling pool that you simply like. So let’s get began,
Blue Lagoon Iceland
- Sort: Man-made lagoon
- Prices: The entry package deal begins at 8490 ISK or $65 USD
- Itinerary tip: Go to once you fly in or out of Iceland
Let’s get the cat out of the bag first – the Blue Lagoon Iceland. Blue Lagoon is taken into account to be one of many 25 Wonders of the World, and really when it first opened many flew to Iceland simply to soak in its geothermal waters.
The Blue Lagoon is located in a lava discipline within the southwest of the nation, the lagoon is fed by geothermal water that’s wealthy in minerals.
The lagoon’s heat, soothing waters are good for enjoyable in, and the gorgeous setting makes it a really distinctive expertise.
Now we have been to the Blue Lagoon twice, and though fairly favored it (however have a brand new favourite now), we do perceive many don’t want to go to this sizzling pool.
After we spoke to vacationers, these are a number of the causes they shared
- Too costly (it’s costly as in comparison with a number of the different geothermal swimming pools listed on this information)
- Too crowded (it’s not tremendous crowded on the pool because the lagoon is sufficiently big to accommodate a big crowd and tickets are time-stamped)
- Troublesome to discover a time slot that works to your itinerary (we’ve got been there. As a result of the Blue Lagoon is situated close to the airport it’s instructed that folks go to earlier than flying in and overseas, and typically tickets are offered out prematurely!)
- Too well-liked (and also you need to go to one thing offbeat)
These are undoubtedly a number of the cons of visiting Blue Lagoon, however if you happen to plan it effectively, and want to verify it off your Iceland bucket list, then observe the following pointers listed beneath,
- The lagoon is open all yr spherical, however hours might range relying on the season. Test the web site for up-to-date info.
- Do guide your tickets prematurely and previous to your go to
- The price of the Blue Lagoon begins at 8490 ISK or $65 USD, which is probably the most inexpensive possibility (referred to as the Consolation package deal).
- We advocate buying the Comfort Package, which incorporates admission to the lagoon plus the usage of a towel, a silica masks, and a drink of alternative from the Swim Bar. You additionally get a locker to your belongings.
There are 3 ranges of packages supplied on the Blue Lagoon to fit your wants. The fundamental package deal is all you should benefit from the lagoon.
These admission charges don’t embrace transportation or baggage storage charges. There’s a Blue Lagoon skincare retailer, a restaurant, and a restaurant, which you’re free to go to with out shopping for an entry ticket.
You possibly can go to the Blue Lagoon even if you happen to have no idea easy methods to swim. The water within the lagoon is splendidly heat at round 98°F (37°C), so it’s essential to take breaks and funky off in between dips.
The lagoon is located in a lava discipline and the milky blue waters and its environment are undoubtedly otherworldly – for this reason vacationers flock to the Blue Lagoon.
However there are options to the Blue Lagoon (and right here is our favourite one)
- Sort: Man-made lagoon
- Prices: The entry package deal begins at 6990 ISK (or $54 USD approx.)
- Itinerary Tip: Plan to go to the Sky Lagoon while you’re in Reykjavik (as it’s situated quarter-hour
The Sky Lagoon is the latest geothermal spa in Iceland.
It’s a man-made lagoon situated about quarter-hour from the capital metropolis of Reykjavik. This lagoon is actually stunning, and extremely advocate including this to your Iceland itinerary.
One of many distinctive issues in regards to the Sky Lagoon is its signature 7-step hydrotherapy cycle, often called the 7 Step Ritual.
These seven steps are purported to be carried out in a sequence, and in doing so it helps to deeply calm down and improve wellness.
This ‘ritual’ is alleged to be impressed by Icelandic bathing traditions, and one thing that Icelanders have carried out for hundreds of years.
On the Sky Lagoon, you can see a stunning 230-foot infinity edge, overlooking the Kàrsnes Harbour. The beautiful views from the Steam Room shouldn’t be missed both.
The Sky Lagoon is a good various to the Blue Lagoon.
- You possibly can simply go to the Sky Lagoon when you find yourself in Reykjavik (even a taxi experience shared with a couple of vacationers gained’t break the financial institution)
- It opened its doorways in 2021, and is comparatively new and never very crowded (but)
- There are 3 package deal ranges to enter the lagoon. The price of the Sky Lagoon begins at 6990 ISK (or $54 USD approx.). That is probably the most inexpensive possibility, and it is usually cheaper than the Blue Lagoon’s Consolation Package deal
The three ranges of Sky Lagoon admission (all with out spherical journey transportation),
- Pure Lite Package deal (inexpensive)
- Pure Package (with the 7 Step Ritual)
- Sky Package (luxury with 7 Step Ritual + private change rooms)
Throughout my journey, I opted for the Sky Package deal because it gave entry to a personal altering room with a bathe facility.
In case you are on a finances, go for the Pure Lite, which incorporates entry to the waters, shared change rooms, and a locker. There isn’t any masks or drink at this stage.
The Pure Package deal provides you one full journey of the 7 Step Ritual, which is mindblowing.
You get entry to the rejuvenating spa course of with a chilly dip, steam and sauna room entry, a scrub, and a chilly bathe. Ebook: Pure Package (with the 7 Step Ritual)
Fast ideas for visiting the Sky Lagoon,
- We advocate making reservations forward of time, particularly in case you are on a brief go to. Ebook prematurely and previous to your go to
- Packages solely embrace entry, no meals/drinks or transportation is included
- Plan to go to the Sky Lagoon while you’re in Reykjavik (as it’s situated quarter-hour from the town centre). Many excursions will embrace a stop there like the Golden Circle tour here
- Convey a swimsuit (towels and eco-friendly plastic luggage are supplied. Swimsuits might be rented)
- Convey your bank card to pay for drinks (or to be used on the retailer, or restaurant)
Secret Lagoon or Gamla Laugin
- Sort: Man-made lagoon and swimming pool
- Prices: The entry package deal begins at 2700 ISK (or $21 USD approx.)
- Itinerary Tip: Add it to your Golden Circle day journey/route, learn our 3 day Iceland itinerary
Secret Lagoon is without doubt one of the oldest geothermal swimming pools in Iceland and dates again to the yr 1891. It’s situated within the Golden Circle space which makes it a simple cease when you find yourself on an Iceland street journey or add it as an additional on a day tour.
The recent spring is situated near the waterfall of Gullfoss, which is without doubt one of the traditional Golden Circle excursions, within the village of Flúðir.
Close to the pool, you can see lots of volcanic exercise, with many greenhouses.
The geothermal exercise within the space is pure and it has been used for ages by Icelanders.
As in comparison with the Blue and the Sky Lagoon, the Secret Lagoon is fairly easy and fuss-free. It is usually smaller in measurement.
However at the moment, they’ve modified the world to accommodate a a lot bigger variety of individuals with parking on-site.
The water temperature is round 38-40° Celsius (100° Fahrenheit) all yr lengthy. You possibly can benefit from the heat waters with out realizing easy methods to swim, plus the Secret Lagoon provides floaties so that you can use!
Throughout my go to, I discovered that some areas had been hotter than others, and there’s an uneven floor, rocks, and many others. that you need to be cautious of.
There’s additionally a restaurant on-site the place you’ll be able to take pleasure in a meal after your swim, and naturally, shared altering services.
The Secret Lagoon is commonly most popular over Blue Lagoon, for it’s cheaper and fewer busy. It is usually simple to search out entrance tickets to satisfy your schedule.
The entry price to the Secret Lagoon is approx 2700 ISK ($21 USD). You can book your tickets here
Fast ideas for visiting the Secret Lagoon,
Fontana Geothermal Baths or Laugarvatn Fontana
- Sort: Man-made lagoon
- Prices: The entry package deal begins at 3950 ISK (or $31 USD approx.)
- Itinerary Tip: Golden Circle route
Fontana Geothermal Baths is a person made lagoon and baths, situated close to the Golden Circle route, subsequent to Laugarvatn Lake. This space sits over a sizzling zone, and this powers the geothermal heat of the bathtub waters.
The location has sizzling swimming pools, a sauna, and steam baths. The sauna right here is constructed over a steaming sizzling spring which is all-natural and is inbuilt a Finnish type.
This space has over 100 years of historical past of Icelanders having skilled the therapeutic powers of the pure steam baths by Lake Laugarvatn.
And the Fontana Geothermal Baths at the moment provides all the pieces that you simply want for a soothing spa day together with trendy services.
On the Laugarvatn Fontana, you can too go for a pleasant lunch or dinner.
Fontana makes for a terrific various to the Blue Lagoon as it’s not some of the well-liked spas within the nation. But it may be simply explored on a street journey or tour, leaving out Reykjavik.
The entry price to the Fontana Baths is 3950 ISK (approx. $31 USD).
Fast ideas for visiting the Fontana Baths,
- Plan to go to the Lagoon as a part of your Golden Circle Route. Many excursions will embrace a stop there like the Golden Circle tour here
- Convey a swimsuit, towel, and a dry bag to retailer your moist fits. Towels, bathrobes, and swimsuits might be rented for a price (round 800 ISK per piece)
- There’s a cool bakery on the Geothermal Baths, you’ll be able to go for a tour right here as effectively!
Reykjadalur Steam Valley
Nothing beats the sensation of heat waters after hike. And if it’s a hike to the Steam Valley aka Reykjadalur, you’ll adore it!
Reykjadalur is a geothermal space, situated about 40 minute drive from Reykjavik. There are mountaineering trails that result in the nice and cozy waters the place you’ll be able to take pleasure in a pleasant dip.
As a result of the new springs are within the wilderness, you’ll need to hike. The path to the new spring is about 1.50 to 2 hours, so don’t overlook to pack and produce your mountaineering gear as effectively!
You possibly can drive there your self, because it makes for a pleasant day journey from the capital metropolis. Or go for a day tour with a guided hike to the nice and cozy waters.
When you favor the latter, and never renting a automobile, book this tour with transportation
Journey tricks to go to the Reykjadalur sizzling springs,
- Word that there are not any altering rooms within the space
- Bear in mind to carry your swimwear, towel, and many others
- Though it takes fairly a hike to get there, views are price it
- Hveragerði is the closest space the place yow will discover providers like fuel stations
- It is a free pool, with no entry price!
- Sort: Man-made swimming pool
- Prices: Free
- Itinerary Tip: Add it to your South Coast – Iceland Ring Street itinerary
From the favored Golden Circle route, head over to the South Coast of Iceland.
Positioned between the waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss is the new pool of Seljavallalaug.
It is a 25-meter outside pool and is taken into account to be one of many oldest swimming swimming pools in Iceland, relationship again to 1923.
The waters of the Seljavallalaug are all-natural, and later the services together with 2 small altering rooms had been constructed.
The environment of the pool will make you are feeling like you’re in a special world, altogether!
Though the Seljavallalaug has been well-liked with vacationers, you do want a automobile to get there.
And take into account that the water isn’t highly regarded.
Additionally, the environment and the geothermal pool are solely taken care of within the summers by volunteers.
Relying on when you find yourself visiting the pool and the environment might seem soiled and rundown, however its magnificence is its pure panorama.
Fast ideas for visiting,
- Plan to go to the pool as a part of your South coast of Iceland route.
- A automobile is critical to get there
- Convey a swimsuit, towels, and a dry bag to retailer your wetsuits
- Though the Seljavallalaug is free, be aware that it’s not well-kept always of the yr. We advocate visiting through the summer season months, and bear in mind to select up all the pieces earlier than you allow
- Sort: Man-made pool
- Prices: The entry package deal begins at 1 000 ISK (or $8 USD approx.) for 2 sizzling swimming pools
- Itinerary Tip: Add it to your North Iceland itinerary, en path to Akureyri (2 hours drive)
From southern Iceland, let’s transfer to the north.
In northern Iceland, situated by the west facet of Skagafjordur fjord at Reykir, are two sizzling swimming pools, and they’re various to a modern-day spa.
The pool – Grettislaug – is known as after Grettir Ásmundarson, who was the strongest man within the Icelandic Sagas.
The distinctiveness of this geothermal pool is the round pot with piled rocks surrounding them providing gorgeous views of the mountains and the ocean close by.
At Grettislaug you’ll be able to entry an outside bathe and the altering services. These swimming pools are situated on non-public property, so prior reservation and an entry price are required.
Fast ideas for visiting,
- Plan to go to the new swimming pools when you find yourself en path to Akureyri or in North Iceland. It’s a few 2 hour drive away from Akureyri.
- There are not any excursions or public transportation to the Grettislaug and Jarlslaug
- Jarlslaug is greater and warmer than Grettislaug
- With 1000 ISK, you may have entry to each swimming pools, and they’re positioned subsequent to one another surrounded by gorgeous nature
- The entry price is to be paid on the gate the place you can see a restaurant
- The altering facility is situated inside a cute turf home
- There’s a tenting web site close to the swimming pools
Myvatn Nature Baths
- Sort: Man-made lagoon
- Prices: The entry begins at 5900 ISK (or $45 USD approx.) for adults
- Itinerary Tip: Journey from Akureyri or Diamond Circle route in North Iceland. Learn our 5 days in Iceland itinerary
Myvatn Nature Baths are one of many prime geothermal swimming pools in north Iceland. It’s a great spot to calm down and benefit from the pure fantastic thing about the Diamond Circle that includes the Myvatn Lake space and the gorgeous Godafoss.
These baths are recognized to be the Blue Lagoon of the North, that is the one type within the northern a part of the nation.
Mývatn Nature Baths have the identical milky blue and mineral-rich water that’s nice to your pores and skin and has therapeutic properties.
The baths are situated on the sting of Lake Myvatn, which is a volcanic area of lava fields and craters, and the water is heated by sizzling springs close by.
Myvatn Nature Baths usually are not tremendous crowded, and there are not any tier entry packages both.
An grownup ticket value for coming into Mývatn Nature Baths is 5900 ISK (or 45 USD approx.). This entrance ticket solely contains entry to the baths and public altering rooms.
We are going to spherical up a number of the journey ideas for the Mývatn Nature Baths beneath,
- We advocate making reservations forward of time for the Nature Baths, significantly in the summertime months
- Plan to go to the Nature Baths while you’re in Akureyri or northern Iceland. Baths will likely be about an hour’s drive from Akureyri. There are excursions that can embrace a stop there like this one
- Though there are not any package deal tiers, you may get a reduction for seniors and younger adults beneath the age of 16 years. Simply you’ll want to carry proof of age/standing
- There’s a restaurant on-site, do seize a snack or eat earlier than attending to the thermal pool
- Convey a swimsuit, a towel, and a dry bag to hold the wetsuit after. Towels might be bought for a price
- Convey your bank card to pay for drinks (or to be used on the retailer, or restaurant)
- Sort: Scorching pool, open 24 hours
- Prices: Free
- Itinerary Tip: Westfjords street journey
Krossneslaug is a pure pool situated at Krossnes by Strandir within the WestFjords peninsula. The pool is situated in a distant place, with beautiful mountain and ocean views.
If fortunate, you would possibly even spot whales from the pool swimming within the ocean.
The pool is open 24 hours, and each the pool and dressing rooms are effectively maintained (a small price).
Now you’ll need to drive to get there, passing via a gravel street to achieve it, however the views are price it!
- Getting there’s a lengthy and difficult drive, and the gravel street 643 is each tough. It’s a 90-kilometer drive from the small village of Hólmavík and Street 61
- There isn’t any public transportation or excursions to the positioning
- Plan for a go to through the summer season months when it’s accessible by most vehicles (usually from Could till the tip of August)
- There are not any entry charges, however there’s a small field the place you’ll be able to put some money $3-4 USD for the upkeep of the positioning
- And the pool is open 24/7
- Sort: Scorching pool, open 24 hours
- Prices: Free
- Itinerary Tip: West Coast street journey
Gudrunarlaug is a newly renovated sizzling pool situated within the western a part of the nation. It was reconstructed in 2009.
Historical past means that these thermal baths have been in existence for hundreds of years.
It’s named after Gudrun Osvifursdottir, who was some of the well-known girls from the Icelandic Sagas. The western a part of Iceland is crammed with the nuance of sagas and Icelandic historical past.
Entry to the Gudrunarlaug sizzling pool is free. With a purpose to get to the world, you’ll have to drive there yourselves, there are not any scheduled buses or excursions to get right here.
To take pleasure in a dip on the Gudrunarlaug, depart from Reykjavik on Ring Street 1, in direction of the Westfjords. It can save you the landmark as Resort Edda and get there, after which you can see the new spring close by.
- There isn’t any public transportation or excursions to the positioning. A automobile is required
- Entry is free, and there’s a small altering room on web site
- Do usher in your swimwear, towel, and a dry bag
- The pool is open 24/7. It’s situated close to Resort Edda, and it’s on a hill above the lodge
Husafell Canyon Baths
- Sort: Man-made sizzling swimming pools
- Prices: The entry price is 9900 ISK (approx. $78 USD)
- Itinerary Tip: West Coast street journey, alongside Silver Circle route
Just like the Grettislaug and Jarlslaug swimming pools, the Husafell Canyon Baths are stunningly stunning, situated within the Icelandic Highlands (west coast).
The Canyon Baths are new, they usually got here to life after the laborious work of the locals. There are two swimming pools, and the bigger one is hotter than the smaller adjoining one.
Typical temperatures are round 30-41°C (86-105°F), plus a cold-water spring at 10°C (50°F). Every pool provides a spectacular view of the encompassing canyon, mountains, and glaciers.
There’s a altering room and a completely practical toilet.
With a purpose to get to the Husafell Baths, there’s an entry price, and is barely accessible with a information.
You need to pack a swimsuit, and a dry bag. Towels are supplied together with the entry price.
The entry charges embrace a experience to the Baths space. The information offers the towel and secures the world to your go to.
To get to the baths it’s a must to take about 64 steps all the way down to the pool space – so do put on snug strolling or mountaineering sneakers.
Tricks to go to the Husafell Canyon Baths,
Krauma Geothermal Spa
- Sort: Man-made sizzling tubs with water from the most well liked geothermal spring
- Prices: The entry price is 4900 ISK (approx. $38 USD)
- Itinerary Tip: West coast, alongside the Silver Circle route
Krauma Geothermal Spa is situated on the Silver Circle route as effectively. The spa is without doubt one of the latest within the space, relationship again to 2017.
Krauma Spa’s location subsequent to the new spring, Deildartunguhver makes it distinctive.
Deildartunguhver is definitely Europe’s hottest – sizzling spring with boiling water (at 100°C or 212°F). And this water is used on the Spa as soon as it has cooled down.
You possibly can see the Spa tubs from the geothermal space, and as soon as within the tub, you’ll be able to view the steam and gases within the sky.
There are about six stunning black marble tubs for bathing (5 heat and one chilly), and some saunas on-site.
Additionally, you will discover a bathe and altering services together with a contemporary restaurant (on-site) and a greenhouse close to the Spa.
Krauma Geothermal Spa is a good various to the well-known Blue Lagoon, it’s a lot cheaper, and never very crowded (nonetheless an offbeat attraction alongside the Silver Circle route).
The space to Krauma and Blue Lagoon from Reykjavik can also be comparable at 50 minutes to an hour.
Suggestions for visiting Krauma:
- Karuma is open all yr spherical. Though it’s not required to get tickets months or weeks prematurely, it’s a good suggestion to take action in the summertime months. You too can reserve a desk for a pleasant Icelandic meal after a soak
- Don’t overlook to carry your swimwear, and towels (they’re accessible for lease)
- The Spa is situated in Reykholt, a few 60 minute drive from Reykjavík. You possibly can embrace a cease right here once you go to waterfalls corresponding to Hraunfossar or the Snorri Pool in west Iceland
Drangsnes Scorching Tubs
- Sort: Man-made sizzling pots, however naturally heated
- Prices: Free
- Itinerary Tip: Westfjords street journey
Shifting on to a different sizzling tub in Iceland, this one is situated within the city of Drangsnes within the Westfjords (and therefore the identify).
There are three sizzling tubs with heat water, and every of them provides gorgeous water views. Every sizzling tub has barely totally different temperatures, however they’re within the vary of 38 to 42 levels Celsius (100-107 F).
That is thought-about to be a preferred spot to observe the Northern Lights within the winter in Iceland.
There’s a small altering facility close to the tubs, so carry swimwear, a towel, and a dry bag. The world across the tubs might be slippery, so be aware.
Some vacationers have worn moist sneakers after they get contained in the tubs, however you don’t must, so long as you’re cautious getting out and in (and the rocks in fact).
These tubs have free entry and are open 24/7 – always of the yr.
- Sort: Pure
- Prices: Free, however altering room facility/use is 500 ISK (approx. 4 USD)
- Itinerary Tip: East coast street journey (3.50 hours drive from Reykjavik)
Landmannalaugar is a sizzling pool situated within the highlands of Iceland. This space is especially recognized for mountaineering and is best accessible within the summertime.
On the Landmannalaugar Scorching Springs, you soak in gorgeous views of the highlands from colourful mountains to lava fields, and Brennisteinsalda volcano.
The swimming pools keep constantly heat all through the summer season months (at about 40 levels Celsius or 104 F), and are good after an extended hike.
Know that to get there, you’ll must hike, so put on correct gear and carry a swimsuit and towels.
The recent springs are free to entry, however there’s a price of 500 ISK to make use of the altering room services
You do must drive there to entry the pool, as there is no such thing as a public transportation or excursions accessible. Nevertheless you’ll be able to organize for a personal switch for a bunch of 6 individuals, and it’s advisable in case you are not used to driving within the highlands.
Right here is the private transfer/day trip to book. The recent springs are situated about 3.5 hours east of Reykjavík.
- Landmannalaugar Scorching Springs is situated in a distant space. With the hike and soak-in, you’ll have to put aside a full day on the sizzling springs
- Once more because the drive from Reykjavik takes 3.5+ hours a method, in case you are driving there your self, we advocate staying close by in a single day. You possibly can make the most of the following day for extra hikes, if , or simply benefit from the drive again
- The recent swimming pools are open year-round, however it’s best visited between June via September, as entry may be very tough within the wintertime
Scorching swimming pools in Iceland the place swimming isn’t allowed
There are some sizzling swimming pools in Iceland the place swimming is forbidden, causes being too sizzling, or inaccessibility. Listed here are a couple of,
Grjótagjá is a tiny cave within the Lake Mývatn area that was as soon as a preferred swimming gap relationship again to the 18th century.
However the temperature of the water within the cave pool rose dramatically from 1975 to 1984, making it unattainable to wash there for an prolonged time frame.
You possibly can go to it at the moment and might see/really feel the steam popping out of it, however it’s actually too sizzling for a swim.
There are rocks resulting in the cave, so do put on mountaineering sneakers to get down. Once I visited I noticed fuel/steam popping out from varied spots and between the rocks.
Kerid Crater is without doubt one of the most stops on the Golden Circle route. The crater is huge, and there’s water that appears like ‘a human eye’ from most drone pictures, however swimming right here isn’t a good suggestion.
You possibly can take pleasure in mountaineering in and across the crater.
Positioned within the Reykholt village in West Iceland is without doubt one of the heritage websites within the nation, significantly these pertaining to the Icelandic sagas.
This village is the place medieval historian, poet, and lawmaker, Snorri Sturluson, lived. He has a pool in entrance of a turf home, referred to as the Snorri Pool (named after him).
That is the place he presumably bathed.
Snorri’s Pool is considered one of Iceland’s oldest buildings and is a heritage web site, and no swimming is allowed.
Once I visited I did contact the water (and our information mentioned we will contact it), and it was medium heat. It’s free to go to the positioning.
Geothermal swimming pools like Geysers
Standard Iceland points of interest like geysers (Strokkur on the Golden Circle route), or sulphuric sizzling swimming pools, or geothermal areas corresponding to Gunnuhver, Námaskarð, and many others. are TOO sizzling, or have dangerous gases and are unsafe for a swim.
If you go to a geothermal space, it’s a must to keep inside the designated walkway or path.
There are rope rails, and indicators that state that it’s a must to keep inside the route to your security. These usually are not meant for swimming.
High public swimming swimming pools in Iceland
Though we’ve got coated one swimming pool above (Seljavallalaug), we’ll share a number of the well-liked public swimming swimming pools beneath.
These are ‘typical’ swimming swimming pools – with trendy services, facilities, swim classes and in addition barely cheaper than lagoons, not they aren’t free!
Reykjavík Swimming Corridor
- Location: Reykjavik
- Prices: 1100 ISK ($8.50 USD)
This swimming corridor is without doubt one of the hottest swimming pools, situated in Iceland. It has stellar facilities together with diving boards and sizzling tubs and a steam bathtub.
Laugardalur Swimming Pool
- Location: Reykjavik
- Prices: 900 ISK ($9 USD)
The most important and most frequented swimming pool facility in Iceland is the Laugardalur Swimming Pool. It is a giant and diversified advanced with Olympic-size lap swimming pools and varied sizzling tubs of many varieties and sizes.
Laugaskarð Swimming Pool
- Location: half-hour from Reykjavik
- Prices: 700 – 2100 ISK ($17 USD) with facilities
The Laugaskarð Swimming Pool is notable for its stunning location within the Hveragerði hillsides in addition to first rate facilities, together with sizzling tubs, whirlpools, a pure sauna, and a health heart.
For some time, Laugaskarð Swimming Pool was one of many largest swimming pools in Iceland. It dates again to the late Thirties, and has a pleasant thermal pool!
Selárdalur Swimming Pool
- Location: East Iceland
- Prices: 950 ISK ($7.50 USD)
Positioned on the banks of considered one of Iceland’s best salmon rivers, Selárdalslaug, is an area swimming pool. And this can be a stunning surroundings for a swimming pool with views of the river and wildflowers.
There are swimming classes, in addition to deck chairs and hotspots accessible within the pool space.
Hofsós swimming pool
- Location: Vestmannaeyjar – North Iceland
- Prices: 900 ISK ($7 USD)
The Hofsós Swimming Pool is slowly changing into a preferred swimming pool in Iceland, particularly within the Skagafjörður space.
The pool has some of the scenic swimming pools, with an incredible view of Drangey and the fjord.
Vestmannaeyjar Swimming Pool
- Location: Vestmannaeyjar – Western Islands
- Prices: 900 ISK ($7 USD)
This swimming pool is a child’s playground. The pool provides toys, climbing rocks, and many others.
Learn how to discover the very best geothermal swimming pools in Iceland + Journey Suggestions
There are various geothermal swimming pools in Iceland as you may have learn above, and they’re all totally different.
Some are giant and deep, whereas others are small and shallow. There are additionally swimming pools which have sizzling water and swimming pools which have chilly water.
Some are sizzling springs, additionally referred to as sizzling swimming pools, lagoons, geothermal spas, swimming swimming pools, and ‘nonswim’ swimming pools.
So, how have you learnt which one is the very best for you? We are going to cowl that beneath, however first, we’ll share some nuances of those thermal swimming pools as present in Iceland,
- Lagoon: A lagoon is outlined as “a shallow physique of water separated from a bigger physique of water by a slim landform, corresponding to reefs, barrier islands, barrier peninsula”. In Iceland, the favored lagoons are Blue Lagoon and Sky Lagoon, each man-made, however the water is minerally wealthy they usually do stay constantly heat all all year long.
- You additionally must take a bathe in shared (or non-public) altering rooms earlier than moving into the water
- Go away your jewellery exterior
- They can help you float and even with out realizing easy methods to swim, you’ll be able to take pleasure in a soak at these lagoons in Iceland
- Scorching pool or geothermal pool: They each consult with the identical factor. It’s a pool or spring that’s heated geothermally (and Iceland has lots of sizzling swimming pools, some are concentrated in tubs which can be man-made).
- Relying on which pool you’re visiting some are free, and a few have an entry price
- Most of the sizzling swimming pools in Iceland are accessible by 4×4 automobile, or after a hike within the wilderness
- The advantage of visiting a sizzling pool is its pure environment
- Some swimming pools are tremendous sizzling, that swimming isn’t allowed, and a few could possibly be a bit of cooler within the winters (and in addition inaccessible)
- Most of the sizzling swimming pools you can swim in are unmanned. So it’s a must to train warning when visiting (unfastened rocks, slippery rocks, moist surfaces, route entry, and many others.)
- Swimming swimming pools: And there are swimming swimming pools open to the general public to be used, and the water is heat and good to take pleasure in. The entry price is cheaper, often lower than $10 USD per particular person
Now, listed here are a number of the components to remember when selecting a geothermal expertise in Iceland.
First, suppose about what you need to use the pool for. When you simply need to calm down and soak within the heat water, then any geothermal pool will do.
However if you wish to swim laps or play video games, then you definately’ll want a pool that’s giant and deep sufficient like a swimming pool.
When you’re after a luxurious expertise, then the Blue Lagoon or the Sky Lagoon is unquestionably price a go to.
These are considered one of Iceland’s hottest vacationer points of interest, and though these are man-made lagoons, they’re fed by geothermal waters.
These waters are additionally mineral-rich mud which is alleged to have therapeutic properties.
Now if you wish to be in a very pure setting in a sizzling pool, then you’ll have to select one of many low key and inexpensive choices. Just like the Gudrunarlaug. Or one thing the place you additionally must hike for a bit just like the Reykjadalur Steam Valley.
Second, contemplate the temperature of the water.
Some geothermal swimming pools have highly regarded water, whereas others have cool water. When you favor toasty heat water all all through it’s a good suggestion to go for a man-made lagoon.
When visiting free or unnamed swimming pools the temperatures might or might not be all very heat and toasty all yr spherical.
Third, take into consideration the situation of the pool. Some geothermal swimming pools are situated in distant areas, whereas others are proper in the midst of city.
- If you flying out and in of Iceland, go for the Blue Lagoon (situated quarter-hour from the airport and has a ton of transportation choices)
- When you’re in Reykjavik, head to the Sky Lagoon (15 minute drive), or any of the swimming swimming pools. Or the Reykjadalur Steam Valley (40 minutes)
- On the Golden Circle Route: Add Secret Lagoon, and Fontana Geothermal Baths to your itinerary
- On the South Coast Route: Seljavallalaug
- Northern Iceland: Myvatn Nature Baths, Grettislaug pool
- West Coast: Krossneslaug pool, Gudrnarlaug, Husafell Canyon Baths, Krauma Geothermal Spa, Drangsnes Scorching Tubs, Landmannalaugar
Fourth, contemplate the facilities which can be accessible on the pool. Some geothermal swimming pools have sauna and steam rooms, float remedy, eating places, non-public altering rooms, and many others., whereas others are extra fundamental.
Fifth, take into consideration the worth of the pool. Geothermal swimming pools might be very costly, however there are numerous sizzling swimming pools in Iceland which can be free to go to. However do issue within the prices of automobile leases, mountaineering, situation of the pool, and many others.
Lastly, if you happen to wouldn’t have entry to a automobile, and usually are not into mountaineering, then go for a lagoon or a geothermal pool alongside a preferred day excursions route, like
When you’ve thought-about all of those components, you shouldn’t have any hassle discovering the very best geothermal pool for you. So, get on the market and begin exploring all the totally different choices!
Fast packing checklist when visiting the new swimming pools in Iceland,
Do you have to go to a geothermal pool in your go to to Iceland?
There’s nothing fairly like soaking in a geothermal pool to calm down and rejuvenate. The advantages of the minerals within the water are well-documented, and there’s one thing particular about being surrounded by nature when you soak.
When you’re planning a visit to Iceland, you’ll want to add a go to to a geothermal pool to your itinerary.
Want extra ideas? Learn all of our Iceland travel guides and posts here
Pin: Geothermal Swimming pools Iceland Journey Information + Options to Blue Lagoon