Huge punchers Artur Beterbiev and Joe Smith Jr. will battle two unify three of the 4 main gentle heavyweight titles Saturday in New York.
Artur Beterbiev (17-0, 17 KOs) vs. Joe Smith Jr. (28-3, 22 KOs)
- When: Saturday, June 18
- Time: 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m.. PT (principal occasion later in present)
- The place: Hulu Theater at Madison Sq. Backyard, New York
- TV/Stream: ESPN, ESPN+
- Division: Gentle heavyweight (175 kilos)
- Rounds: 12
- At stake: Beterbiev’s IBF and WBC, and Smith’s WBO titles
- Pound-for-pound rating: Beterbiev, No. 13
- Odds: Beterbiev 6½-1 favourite (common of a number of retailers)
- Additionally on the cardboard: Robeisy Ramirez vs. Abraham Nova, featherweights
- Prediction: Beterbiev KO 10
- Background: WBA gentle heavyweight titleholder Dmitry Bivol had his second when he turned again the problem of Canelo Alvarez final month. Now it’s the flip of the 2 different 175-pound beltholders to point out what they’ll do in opposition to one another. Beterbiev has maintained his knockout streak whilst his opposition has improved, together with victories over Oleksandr Gvozdyk in 2019 and Marcus Browne this past December. The Canada-based Russian is bodily imposing however, as a former newbie star, he additionally is aware of his method across the ring. He isn’t as fast or athletic as some rivals however he’s a superb all-around fighter. Smith is also a giant, highly effective 175-pounder who can finish any battle with one punch. The Lengthy Island product isn’t a very good boxer however he finds methods to win fights even when he doesn’t rating a knockout, a sign that he has extra skill than some may suppose. Solely Sullivan Barrera (UD) and Bivol (UD) have been capable of be beat him since 2010. He’s coming off a ninth-round KO of Steve Geffrard in January. He outpointed Maxim Vlasov to win the vacant WBO title the earlier April.
ALSO FIGHTING THIS WEEK
- Saul Sanchez vs. Eros Correa, 10 rounds, bantamweights, Ontario, California (Thompson Boxing Fb and YouTube)