Right here’s a rundown of the highest life sciences and well being information throughout the Pacific Northwest this week.
Seagen CEO resigns after home violence arrest: Clay Siegall resigned as CEO and chairman of Seagen within the midst of home violence allegations, greater than 24 years after he co-founded the publicly traded firm.
Q&A with Windfall’s new digital chief: We spoke with Sara Vaezy, who not too long ago took over to guide the well being system’s Digital Innovation Group, to get her take on spinning out startups and the future of health tech.
Cautious optimism for biotech amidst inventory market rout: Publicly traded biotech firms are shedding packages and shedding employees as their valuations sink, however some trends support a more positive outlook. Biotech vet Hans Bishop and different audio system on the Life Science Innovation Northwest occasion weighed in, together with Ernst & Younger accomplice Richard Ramko.
Extra life sciences and well being information:
Biotech boards keep the course:
- Zymeworks rejected a $733 million takeover bid by a tech-focused funding agency. The agency spiced up its bid with a proposed board that features Pulitzer prize-winning science author and oncologist Siddhartha Mukherjee.
- An activist shareholder at Athira Pharma suspended his marketing campaign to place himself and an affiliate on the board with the purpose of changing the CEO. Shareholders put the final nail within the marketing campaign this week, approving the corporate’s nominees to the board as an alternative.
- Neoleukin Therapeutics announced that its first affected person was dosed in a examine of NL-201, its therapeutic candidate for stable tumors, together with Merck’s Keytruda. NL-201 is a completely engineered agent designed by the Seattle firm to tweak the immune system.
- Seattle-based Chinook Therapeutics offered knowledge on two candidate therapies for kidney illness in phase 1/2 and phase 2 trials. Each candidates had been well-tolerated and had an impact on proteinuria, elevated ranges of protein within the blood indicating kidney harm.
- Victoria, B.C.-based Aurinia Prescription drugs additionally presented data on an ongoing trial, exhibiting long-term security and tolerability of its agent designed to deal with kidney harm in sufferers with Lupus.
Public well being:
- Washington World Well being Alliance not too long ago launched a report monitoring jobs, wages, funding and the financial influence of the sector in Washington state. 196 organizations work in international well being, using greater than 16,000 individuals.
- Starbucks joined Amazon, Microsoft and different Seattle-area firms in covering journey bills for workers looking for abortions.
- PATH supported a COVID-19 vaccination marketing campaign reaching practically 65,000 individuals in a distant space of Bangladesh. The Seattle nonprofit described the effort in a submit.
- The internal workings of the lab of David Baker, head of College of Washington’s Institute for Protein Design, are explored in a feature by Endpoints Information.
- Chemical & Engineering Information features the fast-growing space of antibody-drug conjugates, a category of therapies pioneered by Bothell, Wash.-based Seagen. Thirty such brokers entered medical trial in 2021.
Sat, Could 21: UW Aquatic Sciences’ open house options family-friendly and hands-on actions. Find out about corals, whales, fish and “what’s on the underside of Puget Sound.”
Tue, Could 23: Life Science Washington hosts the primary of a number of profession growth workshops on making ready scientists for trade careers.