With 2007 Formulation One World Champion Kimi Räikkönen set for his maiden NASCAR Cup Collection begin at Watkins Glen Worldwide in August, hypothesis has run deep within the NASCAR neighborhood about different drivers with little to no inventory automotive racing expertise doubtlessly doing one-off begins. Whereas organisations like Räikkönen’s new employer Trackhouse Racing Team and Team Stange Racing are keen to supply such alternatives, NASCAR recognises that even essentially the most adorned non-stock automotive racer ought to know what they’re doing ought to they determine to dabble.
NASCAR has notoriously stringent testing guidelines, and the sanctioning physique shouldn’t be afraid to clamp down on groups it views as bending such legal guidelines no matter background. However, with practices solely lasting fifteen to twenty minutes in a given race weekend, it could not be sensible to have somebody unfamiliar with inventory automobiles solely get that a lot earlier than diving into an precise race.
Any driver whom NASCAR regards as possessing “elite credentials” is allowed to partake in a Choose Driver Orientation Take a look at as soon as greenlit by NASCAR. How such a classification is decided shouldn’t be publicly identified, however one can assume the likes of Räikkönen, being an ex-F1 Champion, and three-time Supercars Champion-turned-IndyCar winner Scott McLaughlin could be amongst them, very like the driving force rankings utilized by the FIA. IndyCar common Simon Pagenaud, who voiced his interest in a reply to FOX Sports’ Bob Pockrass tweeting the test procedure, would additionally doubtless qualify whereas the best player of NASCAR 99 on Nintendo 64 in all probability wouldn’t.
Though such exams could be high-profile, drivers are usually not allowed to do no matter they please as restrictions embody a length of ten hours whole throughout a single day of testing, happening at NASCAR/IMSA-approved programs (IMSA is owned by NASCAR), and solely having one Subsequent Gen automotive with no backups permitted.
Testing guidelines are as follows:
- The driving force have to be permitted by NASCAR.
- The driving force will need to have elite credentials from the best types of motorsports on this planet.
- The driving force have to be entered right into a NASCAR Cup Collection Occasion(s) by a present group actively collaborating in NASCAR Cup Collection Occasions.
- Solely drivers which can be licensed and permitted for Competitors for the suitable observe kind within the NASCAR Cup Collection will likely be eligible to take part in a Choose Driver Orientation Take a look at.
- The driving force should not have beforehand examined or competed at an identical observe kind in a Subsequent Gen automobile.
- Just one Subsequent Gen automobile of appropriate specification for the observe kind at which the take a look at will likely be carried out is permitted.
- A backup automobile won’t be permitted.
- The take a look at have to be carried out inside 90 days of the entered Occasion.
- No different drivers are permitted to check or “shakedown” the automobile.
- The group fielding the driving force on the Occasion is probably not the first take a look at workforce, however might ship as much as 4 representatives.
- The group conducting the take a look at have to be permitted by NASCAR.
- Except permitted by NASCAR, solely tools (together with the automobile) from the testing group will likely be permitted on the take a look at.
- The group fielding the driving force on the Occasion will likely be liable for all testing prices.
- A most of three units of tires could also be allotted for the take a look at and have to be ordered in response to Goodyear’s protocols.
- Take a look at engine specs have to be applicable for the testing observe kind.
- The one automobile configuration adjustments permitted throughout the take a look at have to be associated to experience and dealing with based mostly on driver suggestions.
- Knowledge will likely be restricted to steering, brake stress (entrance/again), throttle place, gear place, and NASCAR will present the ECU logging configuration. No different sensors or information system could also be put in on the automobile.
- Distribution of take a look at information will likely be TBD.
- Most take a look at length is in the future, for a most of ten hours. Time begins the second the automobile is on-track for the primary time. Extra time could also be granted within the occasion of inclement climate or different observe associated points. NASCAR should approve any time changes prematurely of further time being collected.
- The testing venue should not be at a location during which the driving force is entered in an Occasion.
- Media might or is probably not allowed, at NASCAR’s discretion.
- The group fielding the driving force at an Occasion(s) should submit a take a look at request by way of the voucher system a minimal of three weeks previous to the take a look at.
- If the take a look at is permitted by NASCAR, a voucher will likely be issued.
- The take a look at have to be carried out at a NASCAR or IMSA permitted race observe with NASCAR permitted observe providers, and comply with all NASCAR security protocols.